Jack Campbell’s relief effort lifts Texas Stars to shootout victory

Jack Campbell makes a final stop in the shootout to clinch a victory. (Photo by Christina Shapiro/Texas Stars)

Jack Campbell makes a final stop in the shootout to clinch a victory. (Photo by Christina Shapiro/Texas Stars)

CEDAR PARK — Goalie Jack Campbell was pressed into duty because of injury and helped the Texas Stars salvage a 3-2 shootout victory Tuesday over the Lake Erie Monsters at Cedar Park Center.

The former first-round pick entered the game late in the first period and turned away 35 of 36 shots, including a remarkable glove save with 30 seconds left in overtime to force the shootout.

Then Campbell stopped three of four shots, and Travis Morin’s fourth-round tally stood up as the winner.

“It’s probably been a couple years since I scored in a shootout,” Morin said. “I just tried to keep it simple. I stared far side and shot short side. I think it might of tricked him up a bit.”

This came two nights after Campbell had backstopped Texas to a 6-2 win over the Milwaukee Admirals and made 36 saves in his first win since Dec. 20.

It was the first time the goalie had won back-to-back games since April of the 2012-13 season.

“Oh it’s great,” Campbell said. “For the team’s sake we wanted to keep climbing. But personally it feels nice. It’s what I expect, and it’s nice to get some results finally.”

The result helped Texas claim 10 out of a possible 14 points during the seven-game home stand, pushing Texas into control of the seventh spot in the Western Conference standings with 72 points.

The eighth-place Hamilton Bulldogs have 69 points and have played three more games, while the ninth-place Adirondack Flames have 67. The top eight teams make the playoffs.

Jussi Rynnas was hurt with 2:01 remaining in the first period after stopping 12 of 13 shots.

On a goalmouth scramble, Lake Erie’s Sam Henley fell over Rynnas, left leg and tumbled into the net. The Finn got up slowly and was favoring his leg as he was helped off the ice.

Texas will probably call up Henri Kiviaho from the Idaho Steelheads to back up Campbell on Thursday against the Chicago Wolves.

Texas struck first on a two-man breakaway by Branden Troock and Devin Shore. Shore and Troock traded three passes after they crossed the offensive blue line, with Troock eventually beating Pickard on the glove side.

Lake Erie tied the game midway through the opening stanza when Henley tipped Bruno Gervais’ point shot past Rynnas.

Texas countered with a power-play goal 7:03 into the second period when Cameron Gaunce’s point shot sailed past Pickard.

Stefan Elliot had a power-play goal for Lake Erie with 63 second left in the period.

This story was originally published in the Austin American-Statesman.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s